Sunday, May 29, 2011

SSS. A clip from current release, Ashes

Thank you to all the SSS players. Your remarks mean the world to me. In this bit, Renold, a very confused man, is being lectured.

“Lyle has gifted me, a solitary being, more heartache than all my lives combined. I don’t like it when he yells, it frightens me, like your unhappy fingers do. I know he’s a twittering gosling lost in a gale, in need of his brother, but only pea-brained lemmings would assume a phoenix is capable of harm. Not ever…except…well, I have breathed in an occasional insect. They don’t always flutter when I spit them out.” Why was it going on like this? Bennu didn’t need to explain itself to a dirt crawler.

http://sixsunday.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

Jessica Subject said...

Breathing in insects is never nice. Nice six though.

Marie Dees said...

Poor insects. Love the voice in this.

Cate Masters said...

Such wonderfully vivid imagery, as always, Arlene. Your characters jump off the page!

Barbara Elsborg said...

Ditto to Cate!!!!

Rebecca Royce said...

Really vivid writing. I loved that last line.

Carolyn Rosewood said...

Vivid writing. Well done!

Verna Clay said...

Very well written with superb imagery.

J.A. Beard said...

Some great voice in this. I already feel like I have a good handle on the character's personality.

Chrystalla Thoma said...

So intriguing! Great six! This story sounds amazing.

Pippa Jay said...

Weird dialogue(in a good way!), but I love all the comparisons in there; the 'gifted with more heartache than all my lives combined', 'unhappy fingers', and especially the 'pea-brained lemmmings!'

Roberta Walker said...

Interesting dialogue - not sure I know what's going on but I do want to keep reading!