Friday, January 14, 2011

Reluctant Heros

Here's to you, Roger.

Quote from The Telegraph, Jon Swaine, Tucson 14 Jan 2011:
Roger Salzgeber was the first voter in the queue to see Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords at a Safeway supermarket in Tuscon to come forward and restrain Jared Lee Loughner as he shot.
While those who assisted him have recounted their roles – resulting in praise from Barack Obama – Mr Salzgeber, 61, retreated and refused to talk to the international media camped on his doorstep.

After he watched Mr Obama's speech at the University of Arizona, however, he was persuaded to recall his act of bravery – and explain why he had shunned the limelight.

"I'm just that way. I don't wear the hat of 'hero' real well at all," he told The Daily Telegraph. "I just came to see my friend and my congresswoman, that's all. Then all hell broke loose."





Quote from Settia ( character in Rebel):
"Okay, okay, I'm sorry. Geez, I posioned one guy, this grower named Roger. Not like I tried to wipe out the human race or something."

1 comment:

Barbara Elsborg said...

Not a hero in your story, Arlene, but a real life hero whether he wants to call himself that or not. I think his quiet reservation is lovely. He did what he did instinctively without thought for his own safety and I wish him the best!!!